Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.

Washington, Illinois

• Larry Scalzitti
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #476 by Larry Scalzitti
Replied by Larry Scalzitti on topic Washington, Illinois
One of the organizations I am active in (Rolling Thunder Illinois Chapter Two) is working with a family in Washington, IL. I was able to find an Army veteran whose home was leveled by the tornado. We are trying to offset some of the costs associated with losing all of ones earthly possessions as well as their irreplaceable memories - photos, etc.
If any of you are interested in helping, please contact me by email and I can provide more details. Larry

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." G.Harrison via L. Carroll

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nick Sloane
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 5 months ago #474 by Nick Sloane
Washington, Illinois was created by Nick Sloane
I did not make it to the Frostbite ride as I had made plans to ride down to Washington, IL to survey the tornado damage. I started out in 14 degree temps, but my Tour Master heated gloves and vest worked quite well, along with my heated grips and seat. The photos I took once I made it down near Peoria do not come close to showing the extent of the destruction. These photos were also taken at the edge of the damage as police were rightly keeping out folks like me from the area. I rode through Joplin almost exactly one year after that town was devastated and almost all of the destroyed homes had been cleared away. Although that twister was far worse than the Washington storm and had to have been a mile wide, I would guess the width of total home destruction here was about two-tenths of a mile. The houses looked like matchsticks as far as the eye could see -- 1,000 homes were destroyed. What really struck me were how the tree branches were snapped off like celery stalks. I have made a donation to the Red Cross.

Nick Sloane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds