Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.

Crazy Occurence

• Larry Scalzitti
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
3 years 5 months ago #773 by Larry Scalzitti
Replied by Larry Scalzitti on topic Crazy Occurence
Just goes to show you that anything is possible. Murphy's law is always in play!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." G.Harrison via L. Carroll

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kaz Zymantas
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 11 months ago #742 by Kaz Zymantas
Crazy Occurence was created by Kaz Zymantas
My wife and I were on our way to Starved Rock on an early Sunday morning about 2 weeks ago. This bike was the 1999 BMW K1200LT in very good condition. About a mile and a half into the ride an oncoming car flashed his headlights at me. I thought something may be wrong and my front light was out but I checked and all seemed normal unless the bulb was burned out. We ended up stopping at a stop light about 2 blocks later. A very nice couple one lane over informed us that our motorcycle was on fire. Told the wife to get off and looked like some problem near the boot of the drive shaft. I put the bike on the stand and went to look at my fire. The boot was on fire!! As I looked I saw that a piece of black cable tie had what looked like melted and fallen off of whatever it was holding together. I then got right back on the bike to reduce traffic issues and crossed the street and pulled into a Wendy's joint. Parked the bike and took a look at my fire. There was no more fire. Just very small glowing rubber or whatever the boot is made of on the shaft. I then figured out that the source of the problem was the cable tie that had gotten stuck between the rotor of the brake and the boot. Somehow it got lodged in just a perfect spot as I was backing my MC into the garage one day. Fire people came and I told them that the source of ignition was not there any more and that there was only some very small amt of charred boot. The fireperson took a water tank off of the truck and squirted about 2 oz of fluid on the rubber. What are the chances of that happening?? Too bad I did not take movies of my fire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds