Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.

Mileage Contest...2019... and Days On The Bike

• Michael Williamson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1185 by Michael Williamson
Replied by Michael Williamson on topic Mileage Contest...2019... and Days On The Bike
Happy to have participated and thanks for the handsome Runner Up certificate, Patrick, which is now proudly displayed in the moto section of my garage.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fran kokes
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #1179 by fran kokes
Replied by fran kokes on topic Mileage Contest...2019... and Days On The Bike
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

As promised, the results, data, and whatever fun and accolades can be shared.

By Mileage:

Chris Bennet 11,325 (winner)
Mark Novak 10,417
Thomas Liao 10,009
John Panek 9,221
Mike Williamson 8,843
Pat King 7,068
Norm Phoenix 6,611

N.B. Our illustrious prez provided 'framed' certificates as awards.

Blaine Paulis Award (days on the bike award)

Mark Novak 152 (winner)
Chris Bennet 123
Thomas Liao 91
Pat King 74
Norm Phoenix 73

John and Mike didn't submit any days.

N.B. Being a Severe Conservationist (cheapskate and lay-about), I provide this Award using 100% recyclable electrons and physical labor. No measurable brain power was involved.

A last minute, anonymous rider who wished that his data be included for what ever fun it might bring submitted: 14,450 miles at 261 days on the bike.
(edit: Another anonymous club member let it be known that he had 26k miles and some 190 days for the data bank.)

I leave it to the data crunchers/miners to keep us informed of what it all means. I found it entertaining to divide the mileage by the days for an average mileage per ride.

Apparently, this fun is going to be continuing for 2020. Because the weather has been so ride-able, several members have several days logged already. Special Huzzahs to famed club member Eddie Otto who has a perfect riding year going for him at this date. Eddie is 10 for 10 days on the bike and counting with only one roadside LEO interaction so far. The Energizer Bunny is a tremble.

Keep Calm & Ride More,
fran
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by fran kokes. Reason: usual typos, forgotten thoughts, maybe an upgrade in clarity? Some other silly thing?

• Michael Williamson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #1178 by Michael Williamson
Replied by Michael Williamson on topic Mileage Contest...2019... and Days On The Bike
Great meeting last night and congratulations to the winners of the 2019 Mileage Contest! My runner-up certificate will soon be proudly displayed on my memorabilia wall in my garage, close to my motos. I hope to see many more participants for the 2020 contest!
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Michael Williamson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick King

• fran kokes
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1175 by fran kokes
And the Winners are.... To be posted here....after the Jan 2020 meeting..... start loooong drum roll

To build some mileage suspense, we have seven (7) participants. As dismally few as they are out of so many club members, I am grateful and pleased that they cared enough to take a shot and have fun. First rider to submit data was club stalwart, Norm P. who is about as stalwart as a club member can get. Pat King, our beloved club prez, dreamed up reviving the mileage contest and stepped up to lead this horde. Rounding out this intrepid cast of characters was John P., Mike W., Thomas L., Chris B., and Mark N. Pillion riders and comfort animals were invited to play but no data was submitted for them. Maybe next year? The very best rides that I have ever recorded always had a co-rider.

I dreamed up the Days On The Bike category for those riders who have just as much zeal to go for a ride as the mile eaters but have too many social obligations to rack up a lot of miles. Stealing a cuppla hours on an early Sunday morn, riding to the store instead of taking the cage and making the effort to gear up and ride at every possibility enables them to keep their skills sharp and energize their passion for feeling alive. Thus, this category name is now going to be known as the...

BLAINE PAULIS AWARD

Blaine Paulis decided to see how many days in a row that he could ride for a minimum of 10 miles. You can read about his fun at the link below. Higdon in a recent book notes that the streak of riding continues beyond the the time frame of the link up to this very day. Blaine lives in PA and has to deal with snow to keep his streak alive. We haven't had much snow this 19/20 season but I managed 2 snow rides so far.

www.revzilla.com/common-tread/the-streak...ery-day-for-16-years

I recused myself from participating. Those wishing to get my data can see me privately. I didn't go anywhere or do anything special last year. Special mention goes to Chris B. and another club member who managed to do an IBA SaddleSore 1000 (SS1K) in 2019. There might be other stories from the year? Somebody might have gone to the track for the first time. or might have gone to a rally for the first time. Such singular riding experiences have a way of re-setting one's internal game clock and giving a whole new perspective to our avocation.
fran

drum is still rolling, tune in here on friday or saturday to see what happens......

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #1173 by Thomas Liao
Replied by Thomas Liao on topic Mileage Contest...2019... and Days On The Bike
Hello-

My mileage for 2019 is 10,009 miles.
Days on bike 91.

Tom Liao
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Williamson, Patrick King

• fran kokes
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
3 months 3 days ago #1167 by fran kokes

Patrick King wrote: Thank you all for such a wonderful 2019!

I wish you all the best for 2020 and beyond!

(P.S. be sure to get your mileage in for our mileage contest!)

And "Days On The Bike" too.
fran

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds