Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.

Illinois Legislature Considering Exempting Motorcycles From Road Tolls

• Michael Williamson
  • Michael Williamson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1186 by Michael Williamson
This bill was not acted upon and died when the last Illinois Legislature's General Session closed on January 8, 2019. I have been in contact with State Representative Allen Skillicorn, one of the bill's sponsors, who just informed me that he is resubmitting the the bill for the current General Session.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick King

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Michael Williamson
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #1119 by Michael Williamson
Sidecars and three-wheelers would be exempted also as they are defined as “motorcycles” under the Illinois Vehicle Code:

Sec. 1-147. Motorcycle. Every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than 3 wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding an autocycle or tractor.

As for other vehicles’ tolls being raised to cover no-toll motos, I would think that whatever the increase might be would be very small based on the outsize number of other vehicles registered as opposed to motos. I guess if the state raises tolls for my car but lets me ride for free on my motos, I would be no worse off. Maybe better, since I don’t have to bother with an iPass transponder that sometimes malfunctions or, even worse, having to fiddle with money or credit cards with gloved hands.
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Michael Williamson.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1118 by Tim Colburn
Hmm. What about sidecars (and other 3-wheelers)?

And, as a driver of other vehicles, should I be concerned that tolls paid in my car, RV, etc will have to increase to cover the loss of revenue from motorcyclists?

• Michael Williamson
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1117 by Michael Williamson
The full text of the bill didn't provide any answers to those questions. Most unmanned toll road entrances/exits that I've seen have at least one iPass lane without a gate. The ones with gates often have a short enough gate that my bike can get through. (Well, not my bike. A similarly-sized bike. I wouldn't know anything about toll avoidance.) Manned booths would be simpler since the toll collector could simply raise the gate for motos, like they do in the many other countries where motos are exempt.

The best solution would be to do what they do in Colombia--have a dedicated narrow lane all the way to the right for motos only--"Motos a la Derecha." I can't really see the State of Illinois going to the trouble of building new moto lanes, however.

Attachments:

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #1115 by fran kokes
"--Stopping at a toll booth is dangerous for motorcyclists who are often hurt due to distracted drivers"

Makes me wonder 'How often? And what kind of injuries/fatalities?"

Some toll booths are controlled by a gate. How will the booth gate know to open for me if I no longer need to carry an I-pass?

• Michael Williamson
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #1113 by Michael Williamson
The Illinois Legislature is now considering a bill that would exempt motorcycles from paying road tolls. A link to the bill and a synopsis is included in this post, as are links to finding your representatives.

I would like to encourage all club members to join me in calling their local representatives in support of HB5925 . This bill takes into consideration the danger that exists in a motorcycle stopping at toll booths as well as the limited wear that a motorcycle produces on the roads. The bill asks that the Illinois Department of Transportation create an exemption that eliminates tolls for two wheeled vehicles. We all share the road, so why should I support this measure?

--Stopping at a toll booth is dangerous for motorcyclists who are often hurt due to distracted drivers

--Larger vehicles pay more due to their weight and negative impact on the roads, so it's reasonable that motorcycles should be exempt or receive a reduced toll.

--Creating an exemption would appeal to commuters who might otherwise drive a car, this will promote riding.

--More motorcycles on the road increases motorcycle awareness thus, improving safety.

--Replacing cars with motorcycles reduces road congestion and pollution.

Ready to send a message to support the bill? Find your state rep HERE

Let them know you support HB5925 and would appreciate it if they back the bill.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds