Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.

Dakar...and other racing heads-ups

• fran kokes
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
3 weeks 6 days ago #1204 by fran kokes
Replied by fran kokes on topic Dakar...and other racing heads-ups
Congratz to Ricky Braebec for his first bike win at Dakar. First win for any American in that event. Another American won in the side-by-side class. BUT. Bikers are the premier class, right? ALL the biker women finished and looked terrific doing so. One had to push her bike the last 400 meters thru soft sand to finish a stage. IIRC, it was an endurance stage and she wasn't allowed help for that push. And she was still smiling at the end of the effort.

Dakar Conversant,
fran
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick King

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fran kokes
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
1 month 2 days ago #1187 by fran kokes
Replied by fran kokes on topic Dakar...and other racing heads-ups
Complete replay including finish.

NBCSP Starts at noon (central time) and runs till 530pm in 30min segments. Record as you like. Check your listing for accuracy.

Hemmingway remarked that there are only 2 sports, bull fighting and motorsports. Everything else is just a game. (I don't hold for the bull fighting because the bull doesn't win nearly often enough for me.)

Steve McQueen observed, "Racing is life. All the rest is just waiting."

ADVRider has an annual thread covering the event currently at 196 pages. Read at your leisure and interest level. The photos and vids alone are worth the scan of every page. A privateer (non-big-buck factory team w/ pro rider/driver) won a stage this year which hasn't happened since 1988(?).

advrider.com/f/threads/f5-constituency-2...an-5th-16th.1422115/

enjoy as you can,
fran

• Michael Williamson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 month 1 week ago #1174 by Michael Williamson
Replied by Michael Williamson on topic Dakar...and other racing heads-ups
While traveling in Chile in January 2013 I was able to experience the Dakar rally up close and personal. The towns in and around the rally route were jammed full of spectators and rally support staff. Everyone, including the racers themselves, were friendly and more than willing to talk to spectators and show off their machinery, be it motos, quads, cars, and even the giant trucks. One morning, I met a privateer racer from a gas station and asked him for directions to the stage start so that I could try to see a Colombian friend who was racing that year. He said, "Just follow me." The next morning at a gas station in CopiapĆ³, I ran into Jim Hyde of RawHyde, whom I had met previously. He graciously invited me to tag along with his group to watch that day's stage from its starting point and also from several more vantage points in the Atacama Desert. It was an experience of a lifetime being able to walk around in the crowd of motos waiting to start, talk to the racers, and watch official starts. We later rode far out into the out into the desert to a few more vantage points and watched the motos, quads, cars, and trucks speed past us up real close. The privateers whizzed past with little fanfare. The big name racers in all classes were usually both preceded and followed by helicopters carrying cameramen and announcers. I'm guessing they use more drones than choppers now. I concluded that stage of my trip in Santiago,Chile, where the Dakar podium was set up right in front of La Modeda Palace, the official residence of the president.

• fran kokes
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
1 month 1 week ago #1172 by fran kokes
Dakar...and other racing heads-ups was created by fran kokes
Dakar coverage starts Monday 1-6-2020 about 4pm. Daily with various times.
See the best riding in the worst.
Makes those 60min GP riders look weak, talented but still way weak.
Ultimate geography lesson.
Fantasize to your heart's content.
fran
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Williamson, Patrick King

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds