Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.

Calling All GPS Experts

• Michael Williamson
  • Michael Williamson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 months 2 days ago #1216 by Michael Williamson
Replied by Michael Williamson on topic Calling All GPS Experts
I just saw that on their email blast. Too bad their meetings fall on the same dates as ours. We should chat further about putting on a presentation at one of our meetings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 days ago #1215 by Mark Novack
Replied by Mark Novack on topic Calling All GPS Experts
It looks like Kirk over at the Northern Illinois BMW Club is putting on a seminar about using Basecamp at their next meeting, February 13. Saw this post on Facebook:

Feb 13 Meeting: Using Garmin BaseCamp(TM) Routing Software!

"Tech guru and Club President Kirk shares his knowledge of making great motorcycle routes with BaseCamp software and your GPS.
Bring your laptop/tablet to the meeting with BaseCamp loaded. (find downloads at Garmin or Google). Kirk will demonstrate how to's. "
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick King

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1200 by Mark Novack
Michael,

My method of creating a route involves Google Maps, sites like Motorcycleroads.com and other searches on the web that suggest routes and then using Basecamp to get the specific route based on my research. I also use Google Streetview whenever I can to scout road conditions, corners, scenery and poplated area. I'll spot check areas along the route so see what it looks like from a live camera view. Sometimes these images are a bit out of date but it can still help get an idea of the road before you ride it. I also have a REVER account that has access to Butler Map data that has road ratings for certain areas of the US. I do agree that it is sometimes hard to figure out the same road from Google Maps to Basecamp as they don't always use the same naming and it can take a bit of effort to determine what is the same road. An example is that Randall Road out by me is pretty much known as Randall Road by locals and signs but some maps, like Basecamp may show it as County (Kane) Route 34, which of course many know Rt 34 also as Ogden Ave in other areas so it gets confusing.

Sure if Doug can't do something of a presentation, I'd be willing to work with someone to put together a program. I'm not as familiar with importing routes but planning I can get my way around pretty well.

• Michael Williamson
  • Michael Williamson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1199 by Michael Williamson
Replied by Michael Williamson on topic Calling All GPS Experts
Thanks, Mark. This is great information. Perhaps Doug would be willing to do a presentation at one of our meetings.

If not, I’m guessing that you might be able to put something together since you are likely light years ahead of many of us with regard to Basecamp.

I have been fumbling around with it for several years and am able to navigate the app and create routes, so I would be willing to help out if necessary. My biggest issue is that I can’t rely exclusively on Basecamp maps. Google and paper maps just display better. I start there and then it’s sometimes difficult to locate the same roads on Basecamp.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #1198 by Mark Novack
I have been using Basecamp for several years to upload custom routes to my Garmin for trips. The great thing about Basecamp is the ability to create very customized routes to follow with stops and placing the route on specific roads you want to travel. The negative is that the program is not at all intuitive to use, I tried to learn it and use it about 3 times before I finally watched some YouTube videos and had an "ah-ha" moment and finally figured it out. Many people hate it with a passion. I'm not sure I have a simple way to teach it. I gave some one on one lessons to people and one figured it out and the other still hated it.

Doug Rost from the Northern Illinois BMW Club has an excellent YouTube video on routing building with Basecamp that helped me and maybe he has more experience to give a seminar.

Otherwise, this guy on YouTube also has some good tutorials on Basecamp:

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUITrLiSc...VB9tCLhUth6ii6T8NCBy

If not I might be able to come up with something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Williamson, Patrick King

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #1195 by Patrick King
Replied by Patrick King on topic Calling All GPS Experts
I'll post this on our Facebook page also.
This might be an excellent opportunity for someone from a local Motorcycle Shop or a GPS Supplier to visit our club; but of course our first choice would be having a member give us a presentation.
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Patrick King.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds