Chicago Region BMW Owners Association boasts over 250 members... the largest and most active BMW Motorcycle Club in the region. Meeting on the SECOND Thursday monthly, 7:30 pm 'til 9 pm at Elmhurst Elks Lodge, 711 W. St. Charles Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126.
× This is where you post your favorite ride/route so others can ride it too!

LaCrosse, the cool way...

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1327 by fran kokes
Replied by fran kokes on topic LaCrosse, the cool way...
Luv it. Thanx a lot. Because I have very little interest in learning to down load routes to my various GPSs (there's a Garmin V on my bars). I really like the turn by turn hard copy with comments.

I especially liked the heads-up reminders to wait as necessary for following rider(s). The last time I went with the club to New Glarus several of us got separated at a tough hwy crossing because the last rider didn't wait. Fortunately there were no new riders to the club on that ride. So it didn't annoy anyone who might have thought that we actually knew what we were doing.

The turns indicating a TEE are a real godsend. Always a pleasure to know that one can proceed at leisure w/o having to eyeball every cross- street sign. It is also helpful to dummies like me to have the turns/steps numbered. Trying to keep track of which step is current to the moment is easier when one can remember that one has done number 27 and should be looking for number 28 rather than number 30.

The Chicago Mini Club gives out route sheets with mileages between turns. Always fun to run one of their routes like a TSD/gimmick rally. If you wanna see what a world class route sheet looks like, look at the stuff the Dakar riders have to deal with...at speed...without a pre-run.

There are riders in this world who cannot tell their left from their right. I don't know how this happens but it does. And it usually cannot be learned/corrected by cattle prod. I am one of them. But I have little problem keeping compass points correctly. So when I notate a route sheet, my turns often read "north/right". The "right" is a sop to riders who have no idea which way is "north". When raising my kids and teaching them to navigate in the cage, One of my mantras was, "You are not lost if you know which way is north."

And when the SIP/travel ban is finally lifted, I will be riding this route. And I hope that I have company. All riders welcome when I go.
fran

So. I hard copied the route with a bit of space to insert compass points. I am now going to enjoy following the route on google maps and insert my compass points as needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #1326 by Mark Novack
Replied by Mark Novack on topic LaCrosse, the cool way...
Bill and everyone,

Here is the GPX route of the directions you provided. Should be able to download into Garmin and follow route. If you can't download the route, I can try and email it to you. Part 2, New Glarus, WI to La Crosse, WI.

I show about 109 miles Starks Corner BP to New Glarus, WI, Start at 8am arrive about 10:40am.
About 155 miles New Glarus, WI to La Crosse, WI, Start at Noon and arrive at about 3:40pm.
times assume no stops and following posted speed limits based upon Garmin road data.

GPX File of Route

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Mark Novack. Reason: additions

• Tom Brown
  • Tom Brown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2017 R1200RT, 2000 RSV Mille R
More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #1325 by Tom Brown
Replied by Tom Brown on topic LaCrosse, the cool way...
OK, Mark...Here you go!

New Glarus > Lacrosse …the cool way…Part 2.

OK, by now, you’ve got lunch at the Glarne Stube. Hopefully you stayed away from pop and too much sugar or starch. Sugar crash is a real thing and I’ve seen, more than once, folks leave New Glarus after lunch and have incidents within an hour of eating….so be mindful of this….and if you find yourself feeling panic or making dumb mistakes, find a place to stop and collect yourself. The EMT service is really slow around here…ask me how I know. Roads are challenging. I don’t want to scare you…That's just the point, if you’re riding “in fear”, you’re not riding safe. Use your skills and ride at your own pace. That may be 3 digits or it may be 50mph. Use the skills you’ve learned, enjoy the ride. Stay safe.

OK, now that’s out of the way…. Find Rt. 39 at the 4 way stop. Head West on WI 39.

In about 10 miles of bucolic ridge riding, you’ll see a right turn for WI 78. DO NOT TAKE WI 78, but it is a useful land-mark for the turn you need to take….

Shortly after the Rt 78 turn, Rt 39 will turn off to the right. TURN RIGHT ON WI 39. If you are out of sight of the next rider. WAIT until he sees you before leaving this corner. It is easy to miss!!!

Follow WI 39….Welcome to Hollandale. (Co-Op gas station on right…slow down.) In Hollandale, RIGHT ON WI 191.

Follow 191 through Hollandale. Lots of hunter-type bars and such around. Follow 191 out of town.

Watch for SHARP LEFT just over a small bridge. Turn LEFT on 191 (left only) just out of town. EZ to miss this.

Continue on 191 to Dodgeville. (This is a GREAT road!).

Just in Dodgeville city limits, 191 goes left. GO STRAIGHT ON BENNETT RD.

1 block, left on Spring St. This is a neighborhood with kids etc. Go slow now. Show a little class!

RIGHT ON WI 23. (angle streets…watch for traffic coming from odd places.)

Left at light on to US 18 west. 4 lanes!

Leaving Dodgeville, 4 lanes turns to 2 lanes.

1 mile or so after 2 lanes…RIGHT ON Q. ….Don’t forget to wait at the corner for your friend!

Follow Q Left at fork

Right on WI 80 at TEE – Stop Sign. Cross traffic does not stop.

LEFT ON County P… (Left only)

Left on 80 at TEE.

Welcome to Muscoda.

Follow 80 right turn.

Ride through Muscoda. Cross the Wisconsin River.

Left on WI 60. 4-way stop.

Right on Cty E (right only). BOAZ. Wait at this corner for your pals…

Follow County E into Boaz.

JUST into Boaz, LEFT ON 171. Wait at the corner.

171 takes you all the way from here to the Mississippi. It is my favorite road in the Midwest.

171 to Stop sign at US 61. Cross traffic does not stop. LEFT at Stop.

While you are at the stop sign, look across the street. There is a small park, with rest rooms and shade. Also often a radar cop catching people on US 61. This is a great place for a rest stop.

Assuming you did not stop at the park…Right on 171 > Gays Mills.

If you stopped at the park, then right on US 61, right on 171 to Gays Mills.

In about 6 miles, there is a really tight turn. It is well-marked…but they are not kidding. This is a 1st gear turn. Use your mountain skills!

Welcome to Gays Mills.

As you come down the hill into town, 171 goes left. It’s a little strange…watch the signs.

171 is Main St.

Follow Main through town and across the bridge…Continue on 171.

Welcome to Mt. Sterling. Uphill (2-way?) stop sign. 171 crosses WI 27. Careful! Go STRAIGHT on 171.
The last section is nicely paved with extra pavement on the shoulders. Before you know it, you’re at the River…sadly. I wish this road went to Nebraska!

RIGHT ON WI 35. at TEE

DO NOT SPEED in Ferryville! Gas available here.

Just North of Ferryville, LEFT ON 82. That’s right…LEFT!

Cross the big river in a most unusual way. At the end of this, enjoy the metal bridge.

As you leave the bridge on the other side, RIGHT AT TEE; Iowa 28.

Follow Iowa 28; enjoy vistas. Enjoy some visitor’s sites where you can look at river critters through free binocular things on wooden decks with civic minded tourist facts about nature on signage. Nice when weather is OK. There are a lot of them, so EZ to find one empty or nearly so.

Just after New Albin….Welcome to Minnestota.

IA 28 becomes MN 28….How convenient!!! Signs turn blue/yellow.

Welcome to Brownsville.

N. of Brownsville about 3 miles, RIGHT AT TEE….MN 16.
(Hint: If you take this way home…WATCH for 28 on the left. EZ to miss it.)

Welcome to La Crescent. Turn right at the stop light (gas available here).

TURN RIGHT ON TO US 14.

LEFT ON WI53/US14/US61… Take the 2nd left…53 is 2 roads one block apart…both ONE WAY. Northbound is 2nd light.

LEFT on Jay St.

Right into parking deck (for Holiday Inn)…2nd floor of parking deck has bridge and walking door straight into HI lobby.

Or

Right on 2nd St. (around parking deck)…

head one block more to Raddison on the left side. Big outdoor parking lot there… You can skirt the gate. They don’t care. No ticket required if you’re staying there.

Enjoy Lacross…college town. Lots of college bars and night life. Bodega Bar has a zillion craft beers and great food…excellent walking around there and many curiosities.

For breakfast on Sunday, we like Jules Coffee House. Alas, it was for sale last time we were there. Have some fun. Pearle St. has a great ice cream store if you like that sort of thing.

Save a little energy for the ride home. It’s just as spectacular the other way.

Stay safe!

Hey, WATCH THIS!!!
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Tom Brown.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #1323 by Mark Novack
Replied by Mark Novack on topic LaCrosse, the cool way...
Tom,
Correct, I haven't seen the second part of the route yet, so whenever you post it I can try and route it as well. Have trip planned to the LaCrosse area in early June, so hope I get a chance to ride it if things are more normal by then. Thanks,

Mark

• Tom Brown
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #1322 by Tom Brown
Mark:

Looks like I still owe you the 2nd half of the route??? Is that true? I don't see it here.

Hey, WATCH THIS!!!

• Tom Brown
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
2 months 4 weeks ago #1321 by Tom Brown
Mark:

I'm sure, eventually, many will really enjoy this ride. The roads are challenging and fun and the terrain and road surfaces vary a lot as you make your way toward Big Muddy. Once at the river, the way North is optional...I like the West side better...through a bit of Iowa and Minnesota, then back over the river into Lacrosse.

The bit from start to New Glarus took some doing. It's easy if you like endless stop lights or big box strip mall traffic. I wanted a more creative and rural path with minimal annoyances and maximum riding pleasure.

Hope everyone tries this once.

Be careful everyone. I'm just driving/riding to work and to the store. One trip on the bike to work last week...my first in 45 years!

Stay home if you can. Don't get infected and don't spread it.

-TB

Hey, WATCH THIS!!!

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds